When you first get timber flooring in your home or office, you might think that it will last a very long time. However, that is not case. If you want the timber flooring to look excellent throughout its life, you will need to hire timber floor sanding Perth. It makes all the difference. There is nothing more important than getting the timber floor sanded. Now, you might be wondering what the cost of timber floor sanding and polishing is. This is where this post comes in handy. It shares all the information you need about the amount of money you would need to spend for polishing a timber floor.
Typically, it would cost you around $1,000 to $8,000 for sanding and polishing a timber floor. On an average, a 3-bedroom home would require you to spend $2,500 for timber floors sanding or a vinyl floor polish. Other costs that you would need to pay for include floor staining, lime washing, water-based polyurethane, and modified oil finishes. Having timber floors means that you would need to get them sanded and polished from time to time in order to keep them in excellent condition. Besides, floor polishing makes for a terrific home improvement project. This post aims to help you determine the exact amount of money you would need to spend.
What Is the Cost of Floor Polishing?
The cost of floor sanding and polish depending on the amount of work that goes into the project along with the size of the rooms, whether the floor is old or new, and the type of polish and stain you select. If you want to save a ton of money, it is important that you try your level best to make the job of the floor polishing company as easy as possible. The following tips will help you get the best price.
- Remove all the curtains in the house as they would need to be removed since they would get dirty during the floor sanding.
- If there are carpets on the timber flooring, you would need to remove all of the carpets so that the sanders can carry out their work with ease.
- Finally, you should also remove the furniture from the room so that the timber floor sanders can get straight to work.
Factors That Influence the Cost of Floor Polishing
Now, it is important to note that not every job is the same. There are certain factors that come into play that influence the cost of flooring polishing as mentioned below.
- A smaller room would prove more expensive in comparison to a larger room.
- Whether the flooring is old or new.
- Staining a floor costs more money.
- Crevices, edges, and corners make the sanding and polishing much harder. If the room has plenty of these, the job would cost much more money.
- The type of polish you select.
- Presence of glue and nails on the flooring would wear down the sanding belt. Thus, it is important for these to be replaced frequently. It would slow down the wear and tear. But, you would need to pay for the belts.
As you might already know, it is much cheaper to hire timber floor sanding Perth if you have newer floors in comparison to having older floors. The reason behind this is that less work is required. If you have new floors, you would expect to pay about $25 per meter square for floor sanding and $30 per meter square for older flooring. However, the amount of work that goes into it would influence overall cost. Besides, it takes less time to sanding a new floor than an older one. If you have older timber flooring, it would require more extensive work to achieve a pristine condition. The prices mentioned are on the low end. In fact, you might need to pay as much as $50 for each meter square of sanding. Keep in mind that you would need to pay $8 to $12 for the sealer.
OUR SERVICES INCLUDE:
- Floor Sanding & Polishing
- Timber Floor Restore
- Timber Floor Refresh
- Vinyl Floor Polish
- Timber Floor Sanding Perth
Smaller rooms cost more money for timber floor sanding or vinyl floor polish due to setup time and travel costs. Now, things are even more difficult when working on awkward spaces as the process would require greater effort and the process would be slower. Therefore, you would need to spend even more money. Moreover, you might also want to get timber staining done which is an extra step that costs more money. The job would be more time consuming if the flooring is in poor condition. Here is what you need to tell the floor polishing services provider when determining the cost of the work.
- The condition of the timber floors.
- The number of rooms that require sanding and polishing.
- The square meters that would be sanded and polished.
- Any problem areas such as a walk-in closet that might be much more difficult to sand.
To get an accurate quote, you will need to provide as many details as possible. However, the quotes you receive would just be an estimate. You cannot expect to receive a firm quote unless the floor sanding service provider has actually inspected your home or office.
The thing about floor sanding and polishing is that it does more than just sanding and polishing of floors. If you do not remove the furniture and carpets from the space, the service provider will charge you for the work. Hence, you should take care of such things to save money. Thus, you can expect a much lower bill.
The Floor Sanding and Polishing Process
If you are new to floor sanding and polishing, it is important that you bear in mind that the process involves multiple steps. Firstly, you would need to sand the floor. Then, you must apply a polish to the flooring. It would take you about 3 to 4 days for the process to be complete as there are plenty of steps that need to be followed before the floors are ready. Here is what you can expect.
- The exposed nails would be punched in. Repairs would need to be done before proceeding with the sanding.
- Old timber flooring would need to be sanded to ensure that it has been flattened.
- Sandpaper would be used for finishing the flooring.
- After the floor has been sanded, more work might be required such as punching in nails that have been exposed again and applying putty.
- As for the corners and edges, they must be separately sanded as the floor sander cannot get to them.
- Finally, the first coat will be applied. Then, a next coat would be applied the following day.
The amount of time it takes for timber floor sanding Perth to be completed is 3 days. However, it could easily take much longer depending on the size of the project. You might need to stay somewhere else as you would be unable to use the house while the process is underway. It will enable the polishing service provider to make room for storing furniture. There are different types of polishes that are used as mentioned below.
- Oil Modified Urethanes
- Curing Oils and Alkyds
- Waxes and Penetrating Oils
Now, you need to know that each of the polishes has a different cost and the condition of the flooring and the size of the space would influence overall floor sanding and polishing costs.
How Frequently Should Floors Be Sanded and Polished?
Finally, you must be wondering how often would the floors in your home need to be sanded and polished. The answer to your question is every few years. Although some people get their timber flooring polished every 8 to 10 years, it all comes down to the amount of foot traffic. If the timber floors are located in the hallway, they would need to get sanded more often in comparison to timber floors in the master bedroom. If the timber floors look stained, dull, scratched, or worn out, it is best to hire timber floor sanding Perth.
The truth is that worn-out timber floors result in them losing their sheen. Thus, they would not only look bad, but also become deteriorated. It is vital that you take good care of the timber flooring to prevent scratches. It can be harder to look after timber flooring if you have pets or kids.
Once you have gone over our highly insightful post about the cost of timber floor sanding and vinyl floor polish, you would know everything there is to know about the topic. It is crucial that you hire a reputable company to get the job done and not just any company you come across. Although cost is something that you cannot afford to ignore, you also have to focus on quality. It will help ensure that you benefit from long-lasting results.